Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mushrooms and Red Onion

I wanted to paint something different and both the baby bella mushrooms and the red onion were new subjects for me.

A save the date reminder: for all those in the New Haven, Connecticut area, the opening reception for my upcoming show "The Art of Everyday", will be Sunday, April 1oth, 1 -4 pm at the DaSilva Gallery. Please come and say hello.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tall Bouquet

There is only one painting above, the final version is to the left. Usually, I work on a painting for 1 or 2 days, 3 at the most. (The advantage to working small.) But this was a painting that I was never really satisfied with and whenever I was in the mood I would change it a bit--take out a flower, put it back in, move the stems around, change the highlight, etc. Anyway, it was time to stop.

Saturday, March 12, 2011


Ranunculuses versus ranunculi-- apparently both are correct but both sound funny. This is the painting I had just completed before moving on to the Lincoln challenge.

Sunday, March 6, 2011


The Daily Paintworks site currently has a paint Lincoln challenge and since I happened to have leftover paint on my palette and since I had not done any self portrait paintings lately (as I promised myself), I gave Lincoln a go. This was on a black gessoed panel so the dark bits were lifted back out. The greens and reds were leftovers from a ranunculus flower painting that I had just finished. Bizarre looking but fun and no disrespect intended to Mr. Lincoln.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Strawberry and Pear

Although, in the end, I was pleased with this painting, it was a struggle. The background color changed several times -- initially it was a much warmer color, almost a flesh tone. You can see remnants of it, mixed in with the gray.